Monday, March 17, 2008

Weekend to Remember update

It was definitely a weekend to remember. We had an incredible time and I can't say enough good things about it. If you are married and have never been to one of these, I strongly encourage you to do so. You will reconnect with your spouse in a way you never thought possible after having kids. It was not a bible-thumping, women-submit-to-your-wives type of conference at all - which is what I was a little concerned with. On Friday night, I don't even think that any of the speakers even mentioned God - maybe once! Saturday and Sunday they spent more time talking about how God designed man and woman to be together and have oneness and versus from the bible to back this, but it was never an in-your-face, bible study type of setting. There were three speakers. Chris was probably in his 40's, married with 2 children and was hysterical, he was a blast to listen to and we enjoyed his sarcasm and his humor greatly. The other two people were a couple, Joe and Cindi - they are probably in their 50's, maybe early 60's and are just the cutest couple you have ever seen in your life - the kind of couple you see and you say, I want us to be like them in 20 or 30 years. The love that they have for each other is awesome and it's been a tough road for them. They have a 26 year old son with multiple disabilities, epilepsy and cerebral palsy, along with 2 healthy daughters. One daughter is married and on her own, but the other daughter and their son still live at home. I can't even imagine what this couple has gone through caring for their son for 26 years, but their marriage is stronger today than it was before having children. They were a great couple to listen to as well - they talked about several different topics, but the one that sticks out in my mind is when they talked about sex - it was just hilarious and it's awesome to see that you can still have a great sex life in your 50s or 60s - gross, but something to look forward to.
Saturday night we had our date night and we went to dinner at Gaucho's in Valpo - strongly recommend going there. Kids are welcome, but I don't think I would take Olivia. We spent 1 1/2 hours there, but they want you to be there all night. As soon as you sit down they order the entire menu for you - on Saturday, there were 14 different choices of meat that would be brought to your table on swords, you picked what you wanted and what you didn't want and it was served to you at your table, along with a huge salad bar, sides and desserts - YUMMM-O!!
On Sunday we split up the group with women in one room and men in the other and just talked about being women and mothers or men and fathers - I was never once told, women be submissive to your husbands which is kind of what I thought it would be. Cindi led our group and she is just a fabulous speaker and an awesome mother - I could listen to her talk forever.
After getting back with our husbands we finished up the conference. We listened to some audio recording of couples who have been married 50+ years and listened to the song "50 Years from now" (see lyrics below if you want to) and I sobbed like a newborn baby. We ended with renewing our vows.
I love Brian more today than I did yesterday and I hope to say that everyday of my life! He is the perfect gift from the perfect God - even with his flaws, he is what God designed for me and I am what God designed for him. We're in this together and we aren't going to quit! I'm not saying that we won't have bad time - that would be crazy to say - but I feel like we have reconnected and we have learned some great tools to get us through anything with the help of God.



FIFTY YEARS FROM NOW
Words & Music by John Mandeville, Steve Siler, & Bill Ebert
What do you do when the fire's gone
and passion fades away
Just being together used to be enough
But now what?
How do we feel what we used to feel
Can we learn how to care
when it seems such a long way back from here to there
Right now it feels like it would be easier
To give up and give in, but

Fifty years from now
What will we remember?
Fifty years from now
What will we have to treasure?
If we walk away from this
What will we have missed?
Fifty years, Fifty years from now

Dance recitals and T- ball games
The simple joys of the day
Will we let the best of life just pass us by
Graduations and wedding days
Grandkids up on our knees
Will we make a huge mistake or memories?
Do we just throw away what we started
Missing us, missing out

CHORUS

God gave us this love
We need to see it through
The moment's ours
The choice is up to me and you

CHORUS

© 1999 Great Dominion Music Company (Administered by CMI)/Word Music, Inc / Fifty States Music/ Bill Ebert Music

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys got to go to the conference! Jared and I went to one about 7 years ago and I've wanted to go to another one ever since. It really is such a special time away and SO encouraging! We really are blessed to have such wonderful husbands and I love that our generation is taking advantage of stuff like this...it used to seem like marriage retreats were just for 'older' couples...like our parents...now WE'RE them! :)

Anonymous said...

I was doing a google search for the song "50 yrs from now" because I was in the process of deciding if I would leave my husband of almost 15yrs and got in the car to take my children to Vacation Bible School and heard the song on the radio and realized I was about to make the biggest mistake of our lives. My husband is a Good Man. Thanks So Much