Thursday, July 10, 2008

While Brian was gone...

I had a good time with Olivia and my mom, but most importantly, I slept GREAT!

My mom and I stayed very busy with Olivia. On Monday, we took Olivia to have her first real pedicure where she soaked her feet and everything. It was very cute. After the pedicures we went out to dinner and then did a little shopping.
On Tuesday, we took Olivia to see the American Girl movie, Kit Kittredge. The movie was the best G movie I have seen in a long time...even I got teary eyed on a couple of occasions. It was just nice to see a REAL movie, not a cartoon, that I could take Olivia to as well. After the movie I had an NST and a Dr appointment to go to and my mom was thrilled that she was able to go along and hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time. All went well and I'll be back there tomorrow for another NST and a biophysical profile. After my Dr appointment we did some more shopping. I have been on a mission to find suitable pajamas for the hospital. I had bought something at Kohls, but I ended up looking like I was in fancy camouflage and figured I would make the baby VERY nauseous if I wore it in his/her presence so I returned it. My mom suggested JCPenney's and boy am I glad I went there. I couldn't believe the bargains! I felt like the girl on the IKEA commercial where she is yelling to her husband to start the car because she feels like she has just stolen and needs a fast get-away!! I purchased all of the following for $101
4 pairs of pajama pants (2 of which were only $2.97 each!)
2 shirts
1 robe (which was only $2.97!)
9 newborn summer outfits (4 girl, 4 boy and 1 neutral)
and a package of underwear for Olivia because she had a minor accident
I couldn't believe the deals! I really needed to get the newborn baby stuff because ALL the summer stuff is going on clearance and I won't be able to get anything for summer if I wait much longer. I figure the newborn stuff will get us a couple of weeks during the really hot period and until we venture out to go shopping after the baby has arrived and we KNOW if we are buying blue stuff or pink stuff - I'm not a huge fan of the neutral stuff.
After all the shopping we were hungry, but the only thing we wanted was fried pickles and the only place we knew to get them was Quaker Steak and Lube which was 30 minutes away, but we couldn't get the craving out of our head so we drove there and we were very glad we did...after 3 orders of fried pickles! Oh, these things are the best thing since sliced bread. I have a funny feeling I will be begging Brian to take me there quite a few more times during the next 47 days.
On Wednesday we visited Memory Lane (where Jesse was buried) before my mom had to leave to go back home. We took paper and crayons and we all did the thing where you scribble over the words onto paper - Olivia really liked doing it and just thought it was so neat - I think this will become something we do regularly when we visit.
After Brian's flight was cancelled and then delayed he finally arrived at OHare around 7, but then it took another 30 to 40 minutes for his baggage to show up. It was good to have him back home and actually talk to him - we only talked on the phone 2 times while he was gone because of the roaming charges.
After waking up this morning I'm very thankful that I had 3 uninterrupted nights of sleep while he was gone - before he left on his trip I was blaming my sleepless nights on being in my last two months of pregnancy, but I slept GREAT while Brian was gone and I slept horribly last night! I honestly can't believe the sounds that can come out of a mouth while one is sleeping - it's incredible! Sometimes I felt like he was a leaky tire, sometimes a tire on the verge of exploding, then there was the foghorn sound, a spoon stuck in a garbage disposal sound, a chainsaw, and a chainsaw trying to remove a spoon stuck in a garbage disposal...I never realized just how talented my husband was! But, like my mom always says, "you would miss it if it was gone." I suppose I would, but I don't know if we will make it another 47 nights of this! Between the peeing 5 times a night and the 5 minutes it takes to roll over because I'm now at the stage where I feel like a turtle stuck on his back when trying to roll from side to side, I don't know how much more of the snoring I can take! (I love you Brian :-) I guess I should just be thankful that he's here with me and try to sleep when I can, it just doesn't seem fair though.
But anyway, we had a good time while Brian was gone, but it's nice that he's back home safely. Thanks for all your prayers for his safe travel.


amanda said...

I SO had to laugh at this post...especially the 5 minutes to roll over...I feel your pain, sister! :)
I'm glad you had so much fun while you had your Mom around. And WOOHOO on the bargains! I think I just might have to go to Penney's tonight and see what I can snag. I always look for at least one nice pair of PJ's for the hospital and I guess it's time to start thinking about that. :)
Glad things are looking good with baby...can't wait to see him/her!!!

Leenie said...

BOY DO I KNOW SNORING. Maybe Manlove can get a house together. Thank goodness Abbey has a trundle bed. that is where I have been spending my chainsaw, foghorn nights.

Jen said...

Welcome to my world. It's awesome with Caroline at camp cuz I can sleep in her bed!

You do not need to shop for this baby. I have already done that. :-)

Ter said...

Just thought I'd check in and see how you're doing. Looks like things are going well, so that's good! ONly a few more weeks to go, hope it goes quickly and wonderfully!